MB ChB FRACS
Martin Rees is a Cosmetic and Reconstructive Plastic Surgeon who has been in private practice since 1988, founding the Auckland Plastic Surgical Centre in 1996. His areas of expertise encompass cosmetic facial, abdominal and breast surgeries, liposculpture, skin cancer, cleft lip and palate, cranio maxillo facial, microvascular and hand surgery.
Graduating from Otago Medical School in 1972, Martin began his plastic surgical training with Sir William Manchester at Middlemore Hospital in 1977 and later passed Part II in 1979. Advanced specialty training in Britain and Australia saw Martin develop and publish new techniques for studying vascular anatomy and superspecialising in cleft/ cranio-facial/ head and neck surgery and microvascular free scalp reconstructive surgery.
Returning to New Zealand in 1985, he co-founded the Cranio Facial Clinic at Middlemore Hospital, specialising in cleft/ cranio maxillo facial surgeries. His pioneering work with facial and jawbone distraction technology has enabled Martin to effectively treat previously untreatable conditions.
Dedicated to helping children born with facial deformities, Martin also undertakes annual, voluntary “surgical missions” with the charitable Interplast organisation, providing free reconstructive treatment to underprivileged children with facial clefts, burns and hand abnormalities in Asia and the Pacific.
Even though his professional responsibilities keep him busy, Martin enjoys boating, scuba diving and off road 4WD driving with his wife and adult children.
Degrees and Training
- University of Otago – Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery – December 1972
- Glasgow and West of Scotland Regional Plastic and Oral Surgery – Instructional Course – 22nd-28th March 1980
- Royal Australasian College of Surgeons – Certificate of Continuing Professional Development – 1 June 2010
- Fellow Royal Australasian College of Surgeons (FRACS) – August 1980
- Plastic Surgery Department Frenchay Hospital Bristal – Member of the Department of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery – Jan 1980 – Dec 1982
- South Australian Craniofacial Unit – Six months as a Cranio Facial Fellow December 1984
- New Zealand Foundation for Cosmetic Plastic Surgery (President)
- International Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery
- Australasian Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery(ASAPS)
- Founding Member Cranio Facial Foundation
- Asia Pacific Cranio-Maxillo Facial Surgeons
- ANZ Society of Cranio-Maxillo Facial Surgeons (Part President)
- NZ Association of Plastic Surgeons
- Member Royal Australasian Court of Examiners (Plastic Surgery)
- Examiner in Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery for Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Patron of Cleft Lip & Palate and Burns Support Groups
- New Zealand Association of Plastic Surgeons
- International Condederation for Plastic, Reconstructive & Aesthetic Surgery (IPRAS)
- Interplast Australia & New Zealand – Certificates of Recognition
- New Zealand Medical Association – 30 yr Certificate
- Guest Speaker at the 7th Asian Pacific Craniofacial Association Conference & the 6th Congress of International Society for Simulation Surgery – 5-6 Oct 2008, Taipei Taiwan
- Certificate of Attendance – The Australasian Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, 34th Conference 2010